Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

POSTERS FROM MID CENTURY SRI LANKA

I love Mid century travel posters!  Those from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) are particularly dear to me, but reprints are hard to find and originals are exorbitantly expensive. Sri Lankan author Anura Saparamadu has written a great book on vintage Sri Lankan posters, Vintage Posters of Ceylon, and you can see some of them on his website. There was also an exhibition of the posters at the Barefoot Gallery in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Wish I could have attended that! It must have been just amazing.

You can find a few reprints of vintage Sri Lanka posters online, though. Here are my favorites: 

A Dutch tourist poster print, available at Zazzle





A reprint of a vibrant 1948 C.K.L. Samarasinha poster advertising Kandyan dancers, available on eBay


An adorable midcentury poster advertising Air Ceylon, from the Mary Evans Picture Library: 



Can't wait to add these prints to our collection! 
I'll post some photos soon of vintage Sri Lanka prints that we own, especially precious because they're not available anymore. In the meantime, I hope more of these gorgeous posters can be reprinted and made available to everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hi my dear!! What a fabulous new blog and I just love these posters too, they are certainly very unique and precious and I hope you can add more to your own collection! Happy new Year to you and your lovely family xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon!! I'm so thrilled you visited my house blog! Stay tuned for more pics ... hope you have a wonderful new year too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the book Vintage Posters of Ceylon? they have a fantastic collection. I take copies often from their website www.vintagepostersofceylon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that site! A couple of the posters have been printed and I bought one. It's a mid century Ceylon tourism poster.

      Delete

Your thoughts?